Advice and guidance – Updated 16th March

Advice for visitors to Screen and Film School locations

As of 5:30pm on 16th March, we have taken the decision to close Screen and Film School to students, staff and lecturers for the next 3 weeks until Monday 6th April.

We have listened to the feedback and concerns of our whole community in coming to this decision and we believe strongly it is the right one for everyone. The health and wellbeing of our people and our students is the first priority.

Our London Road site will remain open, but this will be limited to essential services – this will ensure that our IT and Phone Systems continue to operate and to facilitate anyone who arrives at our buildings unaware of the closure.

If you have any questions or concerns over visiting any of our locations, please contact or call, text, or WhatsApp us on 07809418757.


Applicant Days

As applicant days will not be conducted during this period, we will be reviewing portfolios remotely. Our Admissions Team are contacting all those with upcoming bookings to provide detailed information on this arrangement as well as an update on how their application will be processed moving forward.

If you have any questions about the virus, please look at the latest information from Public Health England online.


Public Health England advice

Public Health England have assessed the risk in the UK as high.

The NHS have developed a very useful guide to let you know if you should self-isolate or call NHS 111. You can also access good hygiene advice which includes the information below on how to avoid catching or spreading coronavirus:

  • If you have symptoms of coronavirus infection (COVID-19), however mild, do not leave your home for 7 days from when your symptoms started (see ending isolation section for more information)
  • This action will help protect others in your community while you are infectious
  • Plan ahead and ask others for help to ensure you can successfully stay at home
  • Ask your employer, friends and family to help you to get the things you need to stay at home
  • Stay at least 2 metres (about 3 steps) away from other people in your home whenever possible
  • Sleep alone, if possible
  • Wash your hands regularly for 20 seconds, each time using soap and water, or use hand sanitiser
  • Stay away from vulnerable individuals, such as the elderly and those with underlying health conditions, as much as possible
  • You do not need to call NHS 111 to go into self-isolation. If your symptoms worsen during home isolation or are no better after 7 days, contact NHS 111 online. If you have no internet access, call NHS 111. For a medical emergency dial 999


Updated Foreign and Commonwealth Office advice

You can access country specific advice here. We are ensuring there is awareness of this advice amongst students – and that they should let us know how we can support them.


Common questions

Here are some questions you may have.


What happens if I’ve been in contact with someone who has Coronavirus?

If you are worried about anything you should call NHS 111, who will give you the advice you need to follow.


Where can I get more information?

Public Health England have published a Q&A about the virus on their blogpost Coronavirus: what you need to know.


What should I do to protect myself from Coronavirus?

Public Health England have offered a lot of advice. There is also specific advice if you have returned from other countries or regions – if you are travelling out of the UK or returning to the UK you must check the latest UK government Coronavirus information.


Should I wear a mask?

Some of our community choose to wear face masks for cultural, social and personal reasons. The wearing of a face mask is not necessarily a sign that the wearer is ill with a cold, flu or any other virus. Public Health England do not stress the need to wear a face mask but instead issue this advice [PDF 62KB] to prevent sharing germs.

See more Coronavirus information on GOV.UK.


Where can I get advice on immigration issues due to Coronavirus?

The UK government has a dedicated Coronavirus Immigration Helpline for people who are affected by travel restrictions associated with the Coronavirus:

Coronavirus Immigration Helpline

Telephone: 0800 678 1767 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)



Can I travel overseas during the upcoming holiday?

It’s always a good idea to check the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) travel advice page if you’re travelling from and returning to the UK – this is especially so during the current the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) situation affecting certain countries and regions across the world.

The COVID-19 situation is changing on a regular basis, this means we all should ensure that we check the official expert advice from Public Health England and the Foreign & Commonwealth Office on a regular basis.


Where can I get general advice about the Coronavirus and travelling?

Travel Health Pro is an expert organisation that is supported by Public Health England and a range of other expert health organisations. Travel Health Pro provides expert information for travellers on issues including travel and the Coronavirus on its webpages.


If I go abroad in the holiday will I have to quarantine myself or self-isolate when I return to the UK?

Currently people can travel from the UK to many countries abroad. However all students who are thinking of or travelling abroad from the UK should be aware that there are some specific countries and locations that they are advised not to travel to, and some countries and locations that should only be visited if it is for essential reasons.

To find out the latest countries and locations that have restrictions on travel to, or special guidance for returning travellers you should visit the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) travel advice page.

If you visit a country that is affected by travel restrictions or special guidance and return to the UK, you must follow the advice of Public Health England for returning travellers.


What should I do if I travel and find out upon my return to the UK that I have to self-isolate while I await the result of a Coronavirus test?

If you find out upon your return to the UK that you must self-isolate you must:

You should follow this advice even if you do not have symptoms of the virus.


What should I do if I am unable to travel back to the UK due to an issue like a travel ban or warning?

You should follow the Coronavirus advice the country’s government you’re residing in is providing, and continue to check the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) travel advice page.


What can I do if I am feeling anxious about Coronavirus?

The Mental Health Foundation, the charity that focuses on the prevention of mental health problems, has issued guidance for staying mentally healthy during the Coronavirus situation.